Farm & Environment Management
Here at Woodlands Farm we are committed to doing everything we can to make our environment as green and efficient as possible. We use a range of methods to maintain our land which include
• The rotation of crop and the use of cover crops to protect and allow land to regenerate during the harsh winter months.
• We design our farrowing fields so one acre of land will house 8 sows
• The use of water tanks and individual drinkers to minimise water waste
• Silt traps are in place on all of our hilly fields, this stops unwanted minerals entering water systems and instead are spread across our land and put back into the soil
• A range of wild flowers are planted on unusable land as well as bee hives
• A woodland management programme is in place to protect and allow the surrounding forestry to grow with minimal interference
• Our sheep graze on fields with low forest density and are rotated frequently to support regeneration of fields
Butchery & Green Energy
Our butchery is powered by the onsite solar farm, this 100KW System provides enough power to run all butchery operations and put some back into the grid, furthermore a heat reclaim system is used for all hot water, this is taken from the water used in the refrigeration units which fills the hot water tanks to then supply hot water for all sinks and hand washing areas on site. All butchery waste is recycled and collected weekly and any food/meat waste is recycled in an on site incinerator. All animals are slaughtered at the local abattoir, just 3 miles away.